Ex-Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif was scheduled to reach Lahore in shape of a political rally on Sunday evening.
According to the announced plan, after reaching Lahore, he was to pass through the point of Lahore Outfall Road blast for reaching the Shrine of Sufi Saint Ali Hajveri (aka Data sb) for paying regards before entering his constituency NA 120.
A security alert had already been issued, and PML-N leadership had been warned by the intelligence agencies of a possible threat. In the light of security reports, Nawaz Sharif delayed his plans to come through motorway and instead chose GT Road as his possible route for reaching Lahore on Wednesday, August 9, 2017.
In 20 days, Lahore has been hit by a second bomb blast which was hidden in a truck carrying the crates of fruits. The earlier one took place in Lahore near Arfa Karim Technology Park, a place not far away from the family homes of Nawaz and Shahbaz in model town.
The point of concern is the time and the place of the blast that falls in the way of his route.
As per initial reports, 80 KG of explosive was concealed inside the truck which was parked in a truck stand situated on the Outfall Road Lahore some three days ago.
The Lahore blast reminds us of the deadliest Karsaz bomb blast attack on Ex Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto in 2007 which took the lives of 180 and injured some 500 people. Although, Benazir Bhutto had survived the attack and continued her movement until she lost her life in another attack in 2008. Her death helped PPP and Asif Ali Zardari in particular (the next of kin) to get the sympathy of voters in subsequent general elections.
The Outfall Road blast raises series of questions;
- Why the truck entered a day before Nawaz Sharif’s arrival and parked on a site that fell on his route?
- What is the level of security the safe city team and their ANPR cameras provide which are meant to scan vehicles and remotely detect the hidden explosives inside the vehicle?
- Was history going to repeat itself and Nawaz Sharif was a possible target?
- Is it an attack on a political movement or it was designed this way to help the campaign?
- Will Nawaz Sharif still do the courage to reach Lahore in shape of the rally?